Pages

Monday 16 May 2016

Learning new vocab

The beginning of the term was a great opportunity to introduce new strategies for learning vocabulary in reading lessons. The structure of my small group teaching has been modified so that new vocabulary is now discussed and made visually available during the week on the wall behind the teaching table. The task now is to have opportunities for the students to use this new vocab during the week in some way. I have introduced the game Scrabble to my reading rotation with bonus points given to any student able to use a new word learnt that week. I found that this was quite difficult but helped a lot with the students understanding word families and the ways that words can change with a couple of letters. Bonus! There is room to be able to link my reading and writing tasks to give another opportunity for new vocabulary to be used. I still have ideas such as crossword, word find and puzzle activities that can be created by the students. Lots of ideas - now to implement them!

No comments:

Post a Comment